We often assume that because our students are "digital natives," they automatically know how to research. But in my experience, there is a huge difference between finding a funny video on YouTube and actually conducting a deep dive investigation!
I realised that finding information is the easy part for them. The real challenge is figuring out what’s true, what’s useful, and what’s just noise. That’s why I created specific resources to update my approach, teaching robust research skills alongside modern AI tools like Gemini right from the start.
Here is how I structure this in my class, not as a one-off lesson, but as a continuous skill-building journey.
It's Not a One-Off Lesson
I always emphasise to my students (and parents!) that research isn't just something we do once but a habit we build every day.
Whether we are looking up history facts or science concepts, I reinforce these protocols constantly. We start simple in the younger years and add complex layers like AI as they grow.
Phase 1: The Basics (Years 3 & 4)
For my younger students, I focus on breaking the "wish machine" habit, where they just type a random word and hope for the best.
The "Magic Camera" & Keywords: I introduced Google Lens as a "Magic Camera" to show them there are different ways to search. We practice being "Keyword Ninjas," picking out just the 2-3 most important words instead of typing full questions.
The Simple Truth Check: We play a game called "Is the Robot Right?" They have to find one real website that agrees with what the AI or Google snippet says.
Phase 2: The Deep Dive (Years 5 & 6)
Once they have the basics, I introduce the "Deep Dive Detective" module. This is where we integrate the new features like Gemini.
Search Operators: I teach them to control the search engine. We use quotation marks for exact phrases or the minus sign to filter out noise (e.g.,
jaguar speed -car).AI as a Co-Pilot: This is crucial. I teach them that AI is a "Study Buddy," not a replacement. We use prompts like "Explain this to me in simple words" rather than "Write this for me."
The C.R.A. Check: We upgrade our verification skills using the C.R.A. framework: Is it Current? Is it Reliable? Who is the Author?
The Golden Rule: "Read, Hide, Speak"
Across all age groups, to stop the dreaded copy-paste habit, I use this physical routine in every subject:
Read the fact.
Hide the text (turn the screen off or look away... no peeking!).
Speak it out loud to a friend.
Write it down in your own words.
📂 A Peek Inside My Toolkit
I created custom templates to guide this process in my own classroom. Here is a preview of how I structure the worksheets to keep students on track.
1. For Years 3 & 4: The "Find It!" Mission
My mission sheet uses visual icons to help students pick their tools (Keyboard vs. Robot Helper vs. Camera) and includes a simple checklist for the "Truth Check."
2. For Years 5 & 6: The Deep Dive Detective
The older students use a more detailed report. It features a specific table for the C.R.A. verification and a dedicated section for them to log their AI prompts, ensuring transparency.
Final Thoughts
When we teach these skills continuously, we aren't just teaching kids how to use Google or Gemini. We’re raising adaptable, critical thinkers who can handle a world full of information. Let's turn those passive scrollers into active "Deep Dive Detectives"!
No comments:
Post a Comment